The cannabis industry, which encompasses hemp, medical marijuana, and adult-use marijuana, has expanded rapidly in recent years due to changes in federal and state law. These nascent markets present a valuable opportunity for entrepreneurs to able to navigate complicated and often inconsistent federal, state, and local regulatory structures. These particular industries are under heightened scrutiny and require thoughtful legal guidance before a business enters or expands into these new markets.
We have been at the forefront of the hemp and cannabis industries in the southeastern United States and understand the complexities and differences between applicable state and federal law. We also understand the public-policy issues driving the heightened scrutiny of these industries and frequently advise lawmakers, state agency leaders, and other stakeholders on industry best practices to ensure public-safety concerns are adequately addressed. As states allow businesses to operate in these industries, we are well-positioned to advise companies on how to enter those markets.
Our experience advising clients in the cannabis industries intersects with the counsel we provide to other clients in highly regulated industries in such areas as:
- State licensing for highly regulated products
- Protecting intellectual property, trademarks, trade secrets, licensing, and noncompetes
- Raising capital, commercial loans, banking and U.S. Department of Treasury, and other Federal regulations
- Contract drafting and negotiations
- Commercial real estate transactions including development, financing, and leasing
- Regulatory compliance
- Employment, preparing handbooks and policies, benefits and compensation, and litigation
- Manufacturing and distribution, procuring proper licensing, and contract negotiation and oversight