David Carn joined McLaughlin, P.C. in spring of 2019, bringing over a decade of experience as both in-house and outside counsel focusing on highly regulated industries, including alcohol and food product manufacturing. He has represented all aspects of the alcohol and food product manufacturing businesses, with regional distribution throughout the Southern United States and parts of the Northeast, as well as distribution and trademark matters abroad in Canada, China, and Mexico.
David has also served as Special Counsel for the Alabama Brewers Guild since the organization’s incorporation in 2012, and has extensive legislative and regulatory drafting and advisory experience at the state level, as well as the local municipal level.
Also an award-winning graphic designer, David’s packaging designs for alcoholic beverages achieved two Gold medals in the 2014 World Beer Packaging Championships (for packaging innovation and overall design), and have been featured in various publications, including most recently Time Magazine (“Special Edition” Beer: The Story of the World’s Most Celebrated Drink, 2018), and chosen as a USA Today “10 Best” Beer Label (2019).
When not learning about our human desires, David enjoys performing music throughout his native Alabama.
- Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, J.D., 2008, magna cum laude
- Auburn University, B.S., 2004, cum laude
Professional Honors & Activities
- Special Counsel – Alabama Brewers Guild, 2012–Present
- Chairperson – Government Affairs Committee, Alabama Brewers Guild, 2018
- Presenter – “Alcohol in Alabama,” Cumberland School of Law, 2016
- Presenter – “How to Start a Brewery in Alabama,” Birmingham Bar Association, 2015
- Admissions: Alabama, 2008