NONPROFITS AND SOCIAL INNOVATORS
Nonprofit and charitable organizations exist in an environment of high regulation. Statutes and regulations govern every stage of a nonprofit’s life. Regardless of whether your nonprofit organization is a small start-up, an educational institution, a trade association, or a family foundation, it is crucial that your organization has trusted advisors that understand federal and state compliance issues. If you make a mistake, regardless of intent, your nonprofit organization could face penalties or revocation of its exempt status.
We advise nonprofits of all size and with any exempt purpose to improve best practices and expand the capacities of the organization to better fulfill their missions. We advise our nonprofit clients on numerous issues including:
- Tax-exemption applications
- Charitable registration and compliance
- Federal and state audits
- State and local tax matters
- Charitable gifts and fundraising
- Unrelated business income tax (UBIT)
- Board governance
- Forming and operating for-profit subsidiaries
- Investment and endowment policies
- Lobbying and political activity
- Private benefit and intermediate sanctions
We also assist trade associations with regulatory compliance, association management, legislative issues, and can serve as outside general counsel providing a wide variety of legal services.